Tap Voice Malaysia 踢踏之声 (TVM) was formed with the aim to influence in every aspect of life through TAP DANCE.
Through the culture, spirit and art of TAP DANCE, Tap Voice Malaysia hopes to share and bond all enthusiast of rhythm, dance, percussion, music and the art of living.
With this hope in mind, Tap Voice Malaysia works closely with dance schools, organisations, musicians, individuals and corporate with the believe that the TAP DANCE community within the region will continue to grow.
Ann Naomi Wong
Ann Naomi has been tap dancing for 7 years, since she was 11 learning from Mr Kong Eu, Toh founder of Rhythm Tap Malaysia. She is fascinated by tap dancing as it is not just a dance, the tap shoes can also be classified as an instrument. “Tap dancing is not just about dance moves, but more importantly, are the melody, the rhythm that is played with our feet. Playing music and creating rhythm with her feet is something she truly enjoys” She says. With those inspirations, she has so much great dreams into spreading the art form and knowledge of tap dancing hoping that more people are aware, and be able to admire, appreciate, understand and owns the beauty of tap dancing. She also assists Mr. Kong Eu Toh, on mentoring in workshops as well as performing his choreographies in commercial shows & performances.
Some of Ann’s contributions & participation were :-
- Engaged flash mobs on International Tap Dance Day that was held at Tesco Extra Mutiara Damansara, Pavillion and Publika.
- Performed a tap number for The Shantanand Festival by The Temple of Fine Arts.
- Performed in conjunction with the celebration for World Dance Day (alongside with Tap Voice Malaysia), held at Publika.
- Attended tap dance workshops by international known tap masters such as Chazz Young (USA), Joseph Wiggan (LA, USA), Avalon Rathgeb (UK), RonxII (Japan), Ton (Japan).
- Ann Naomi also experienced assisting her mentor, Mr Toh Kong Eu in some of his workshops.
Bryan Foo the founder and curator of Tap Voice Malaysia has been learning the Rhythm Tap under the mentor-ship from Kong Eu since 2006. Besides Tap Dancing, Bryan has competed in Latin & Ballroom Dancing and now, he continue to advance his dance exposure in LindyHop Swing Dance and Broadway Tap.
As an avid learner and performer, some of Bryan’s contributions & participation were :-
- Attended the Chicago Tap Festival by CHRP (2012)
- Australia Tap Dance Festival (2013).
- Attended workshops with international tap masters such as Dianne Walker, Lane Alexander, Derrick Grant, Chazz Young, Claudia Rahardjanoto, Tanya Rivard, Travis Knights and etc
- Organized workshop by Chazz Young (2013)
- Organized Flashmob to celebrate International Tap Dance Day (25th May 2013). The flashmob had involved 20 tappers from Rhythm Tappers @ Malaysia and held at major malls in Klang Valley such as Sunway Pyramid, Tesco – The Curve Mutiara Damansara, Pavilion KL & Publika Solaris Dutamas.
- Performed for the WVC Malaysia Jazz Ensemble – If Music Be If Music Be The Food of Love, Jazz On! (A jazz interpretation to Shakespeare in 2016)
- Performed & choreographed for Publika World Dance Day Celebration (2017)
Pixie started pursuing ballet from the tender age of 5. She was then later introduced to Modern and Tap which she completed Advanced 2 in Tap and Advanced 1 in Modern under the ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing) Board by the age of 17. She also started teaching as a student teacher prior to completing her Advanced 2 in Tap.
She took a short break to complete her degree in Australia and worked in the corporate world before coming back into the dance scene in 2008, and has not stopped since. Although she’s incredibly passionate about Tap Dancing, she has also tried Salsa, Urban, Hip-Hop, Swing and looking to explore more. She hopes to combine Tap with these other forms of dance and having the ultimate goal to expand the Tap Dance scene in Malaysia by bridging the American Rhythm Tap community and the ISTD Tap community, and make Tap Dance a more common dance form to everybody. Her moto: “Everyone can Tap. Young or old. Never too late.”
Pixie founded TapWorksKL in 2016, and has successfully organized four workshops featuring international tap masters from Avalon Rathgeb (UK), Alex Macdonald & Joseph Wiggan (US) and Ruben Sanchez (Spain). Pixie has also been actively upgrading her tap skill by attending ISTD Teachers Trainings & Summer School (2010, 2011, 2013, 2015), Taptastic Tap Festival (Germany, 2016), and workshops by international tap masters.
Pixie is currently conducting classes in various ballet schools and academic institutions. Some of the Awards & Recognitions received
- ISTD Tap Associate Award (AISTD)
- Scholarship to the Professional Training Program For Tap Dancers in Escola Luthier Barcelona, Spain.
- Guest performer for Lion Club Charity Night Gala Dinner 2017.
- Choreographed for bi-annual concerts for Plaza Dance Academy and Centrestage Dance Academy.